Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Weird Tract Number 27: "THE LORD KILLS--REPENT!" by Darwin Fish of A True Church

Troy Davis writes:


darwin fish a true church tract
This is one of the times I met the author of a religious tract. In this case, it was--I'm not making this up--a guy who calls himself Darwin Fish. Back in 2005,  I was checking out the scene at Santa Monica's Third Street Promenade. There was a group of Bible-beaters with a banner that read, "THE LORD KILLS--REPENT!" Whenever I see something like this, I ask them if they're giving out Chick tracts. I asked the guy who was the head of this group (I later found out his name--is Darwin Fish) for a Chick tract. Fish told me that Chick is a false teacher because he is a five-point Calvinist and a King James Version-Only proponent. He gave me a tract that also had the title, "THE LORD KILLS--REPENT!" which identified his group as "A True Church" which at that time was based in Lake Hughes, California (somewhere out in BFE between Los Angeles and Bakersfield). The church is now based in Oklahoma.

I took a look at the tract and it had a section titled, "BEWARE," which listed what Fish and A True Church believe are false teachers; included in the list of the deluded are Pat Robertson, Billy Graham, Charles Stanley, John Hagee, Rick Warren, Chuck Swindoll, James Dobson, and many others. I asked Mr. Fish what he thought about the late reconstructionist Rousas John Rushdoony; Fish wasn't familiar with him.

I also noticed that in the "BEWARE" section that it lambasted "certain holidays" such as Christmas, Easter, and Halloween. I told Fish that I liked Halloween. He asked me why. I told him my reasons: 1) You get to wear whatever you want; 2) Halloween is noted for great parties; and 3) Halloween gives women an excuse to dress like tarts. He took my response as a cue to try to proselytize someone else.

Later, I took a look at Mr. Fish's web site (which was listed on the "THE LORD KILLS--REPENT!" tract). The site is totally hard-core. Check out their intro. For more, Check out RationalWiki's entry on Fish.

Note of clarification: I know that Jack Chick trusts the authority of the King James Version of the Bible--which I suppose would make him a KJV Only proponent. However, I checked the five points of Calvinism and concluded that Mr. Fish was incorrect to label Chick a five-point Calvinist.


darwin fish tract les zazous
Back of the tract

The Museum of Weird and Demented Religious Tracts is a project of Les Zazous Postmodern Art Galley of Bellaire, Ohio. Read the Welcome Statement of The Museum here.

For more on the gallery, check out the web site here and the gallery's Twitter handle is @ZazousLes.  The Twitter handle for the museum is @WeirdTracts

The index of tracts for the museum's website is here

Contributions of weird tracts to the museum can be made by mail: send your weird tracts to Les Zazous Postmodern Art Gallery 3475 Guernsey Street, Bellaire, Ohio 43906.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weird Tract Number 142: "Mark of the Beast" by Anonymous

Troy Davis writes: "Mark of the Beast is an anonymous, undated four-page pamphlet promoting the Catholic-baiting book by Seventh Day Ad...